ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Solo Diver
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solo Diver For guys like Joe that don't have any friends.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
CompuDude
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
Hey all,
Went diving today and figured out my pony mount. Going to sling it at my waist, for trim issues not so much for access.
Put all my gear together and it is f-n heavy. With a steel 98, 34lbs wieght in my Ranger, pony and regs. I was listing to the left. I think I will give pony under belly a try. May help straighten the trim issue and I can click it in just before diving. Could hand it off as well if need be.
You're sure it's a pony issue? An Al. bottle should be pretty close to neutral underwater... a pound or two should be no problem to compensate for.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
WaScubaDude
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaScubaDude View Post
Hey all,
Went diving today and figured out my pony mount. Going to sling it at my waist, for trim issues not so much for access.
Put all my gear together and it is f-n heavy. With a steel 98, 34lbs wieght in my Ranger, pony and regs. I was listing to the left. I think I will give pony under belly a try. May help straighten the trim issue and I can click it in just before diving. Could hand it off as well if need be.
You're sure it's a pony issue? An Al. bottle should be pretty close to neutral underwater... a pound or two should be no problem to compensate for.
Pony might be a pound or two, also SS mount bracket, Reg w/ gauge. Just enough to make a trim issue. Probably 4-5 lbs neg??
WaScubaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
crpntr133
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Could be a pony issue with the extras.
Just out of curiosity, have you done a weight check? Not saying that you are over weighted but that sure sounds like A LOT of weight even for that suit.
crpntr133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Tod
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
I used to have this issue (listing to one side due to the pony) near the end of my dive when the primary tank was getting close to 500 psi. In those days, I dove with a weight belt and a wetsuit. My weight belt was set up with three 4lbs weights (12 lbs total) mostly along the back. I found if I just slid the belt around some near the end of my dive (moving more weight to the opposite side) it would balance out my profile just fine.

To qualify the above: I dive with a 19 cf pony bottle mounted off to the side of my main tank. Not sure what qualifies as "close to neutral" but my pony is about 1.7 lbs negative (I think). Not a whole lot, but it will cause an imbalance when the primary tank goes from negative to positive during the dive. If the anyone else does the same, and if they dive with a weight belt, think about just rotating the belt some to compensate for this slight shift near the end of the dive.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
I'm confused. Why would it only do this towards the end of your dive? Even if you are diving doubles I don't see why this is happening.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:31 AM   #16
WaScubaDude
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpntr133 View Post
Could be a pony issue with the extras.
Just out of curiosity, have you done a weight check? Not saying that you are over weighted but that sure sounds like A LOT of weight even for that suit.
Dont know what state you are from as your profile says US. But in WA the water is pretty cold. Like 52degrees now. Lots o neoprene. Mine is a 7 mm jump suit plus a 7mm farmer john. With thick boots, gloves and hood. I may be able to drop a pound or two. But my bag o weights don't yet come in one lb incriments. I am basing my 34lbs on the tags on the shot weights. I have not put them on a scale. Not an old man, but me back hurts a little and the whole rig is f-n heavy.

I did do a weight check;BC empty, start of dive, full lunges, would still have the crown of my head out of the water. Just about right I think. Let me know if I have this wrong.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
ian
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
I dive with a 3XL 7mm jumpsuit/wetsuit, SeaQuest Balance, 5mm boots and gloves and an AL80 in Southern California. I also carry 32 pounds of lead. That's what it takes to get me under the water.

As I've pointed out before, when I float in a pool, I have a waterline. People who've never seen me floating before just can't believe it. My mother has a picture of me taken about 30 some years ago in the Salt Lake. It looks as though I'm on a pool float!

For the float/tread water in my DM class, we were required (per standards) to keep our hands out of the water for the last two minutes. I floated on my back and folded my arms on my chest. My hands (and forearms) were completely out of the water for the full 15 minutes.

On the other hand, there was a DM candidate in my class who is skinny as a rail. He practically has to add neoprene to make the weight check!

Weighting is a personal issue and it is what it is. So what if you dive wearing a pair of 4oz ankle weights around your waist. Weighting is NOT a contest. As long as the diver has performed a weight check and is diving with proper weights, we're good to go.

PADI OW / AOW (OW2) / Rescue / Master / DM
ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Tod
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
I'm confused. Why would it only do this towards the end of your dive? Even if you are diving doubles I don't see why this is happening.
My primary tank is an AL80. Toward the end of my dive (as the tank empties) it becomes more positively bouyant. Thus, the weight of the full pony off to my right side of an increasingly lighter tank makes my profile shift slightly (to the right). It's not a huge amount, but if you're static you can feel yourself start to roll toward that side (as the heavier tank trys to sink down and the lighter tank tries to float up).

With doubles the mass is equally distributed across your back (unless you isolate them and use one at a time), so they both empty together. Depending upon what type of tanks you use with your doubles, they may or may not react as much as a non-neutrally bouyant AL80.

Gravity works, it's the law!
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
WaScubaDude
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimoto View Post
My primary tank is an AL80. Toward the end of my dive (as the tank empties) it becomes more positively bouyant. Thus, the weight of the full pony off to my right side of an increasingly lighter tank makes my profile shift slightly (to the right). It's not a huge amount, but if you're static you can feel yourself start to roll toward that side (as the heavier tank trys to sink down and the lighter tank tries to float up).

With doubles the mass is equally distributed across your back (unless you isolate them and use one at a time), so they both empty together. Depending upon what type of tanks you use with your doubles, they may or may not react as much as a non-neutrally bouyant AL80.

Cogent writing, thanks for making this clear.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
quasimoto
Banned

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

Thanks, wasn't think in AL mode but rather steel.
quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Forums by Diving Categories > Solo Diver