ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > Australia & New Zealand
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Australia & New Zealand Down under diving.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Rascal1933
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Hello!
Looking for some info on The Yongala a shipwreck in Queensland,Australia.
I figured this would be a Great forum to ask Questions about it.
Have any of you dove it yet?
hear it is rated by many as "THE" #1 dive worldwide?

Cheers,
Rascal

Last edited by Rascal1933 : 07-29-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Took out all the junk text/cleaned it up from our old forum.
Rascal1933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Krakenn
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +

Gday M8,
<DIV>I dove the Yongala four years ago, it was truly a great dive and a sad story with the ship having gone down in a cyclone.</DIV>
<DIV>The fish life was amazing with some huge groper that looked like small Volkswagon living inside the wreck. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rascal I have dived Truk Lagoon and to me the Sanfransico Maru at 55m would have to be up there amongst on of the best dives in the world for me. Then there is the Coolidge in Vanuatu and the diving in Madang in Papua New Guinea and the WW2 wrecks andplanes there are special.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you like wrecks and you love fishlife and BIG fish life then the Yongala could be said to be one of the best in the world. From memory it went down in 1911 so there is a fair bit of growth around the wreck.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As I recall the dive group that I was with were quite stern about not lettingyou enter the vessel which I could understand but you might like to check up on this if it perturbs you. Then again those Queensland groper could suck you in whole and use your fins to pick their teeth.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dont know if I have helped but what the heck all the best mate see you down there one day.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Western Australia!</DIV>
Old 07-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Rascal1933
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Greeting Krakenn,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Appreciate the info on Yongala.</DIV>
<DIV>Yes... Very helpful Thank You!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Great information on the other dive locations too.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It is my goal to get to your part of the world very soon,and enjoy the diving! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Cheers and Take Care,</DIV>
<DIV>Rascal</DIV>

Florida Reef Rescue:
http://reef-rescue.org/video/greenalgae-20070331.wmv
Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Krakenn
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Cheers Bloke
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ill let you in on a local secret there is a reef in Western Australia right across the continent/Island from QLD and the GBR called Ningaloo it has more coral types than the GBR and more diverse fish life. To expereince a dive with a Whale Shark or a Manta Ray on a feeding Station is one of divings more humbling events pal.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>While you are over in WA (The best Aussie State) make sure you pop into Monkey Mia and feed the Dolphins off of the beach. Then there are the Stingrays you can feed on the beach edge but Ill be tactful and not go there.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rascal, WA is the bigest State in Oz but it is a long way from Sydney where most of you Yanks fly in buddy - but think about it if you get the chance the four hour flight is well worth it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If your looking for a good link Ill attach the following one for your info mate.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Again, I hope I have helped and Ill add one last one for you the old Navy Pier in Exmouth which was a USA Sub Base, has one of the most diverse coral and fishlife dives that you will ever see! - Trust me!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>www.exmouthwa.com.au</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Kraks</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Rascal1933
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Thanks Kenn,
You are awesome Mate!
Excellent links and great insider information on the diving.
Appreciate all your help.

Best Regards,
Rascal

Florida Reef Rescue:
Old 07-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
SouthernSeas
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Yongala Options

Hi Rascal -

I dived the Yongala a few months ago. Its great, but access is very weather dependent. It's out in open water and subject to strong winds/current -- but its totally awesome if you can do it -- Lots of massive stuff! It looks like the fish are on steroids!

Another big plus of diving off of Townsville (vs. Cairns where most people dive the GBR) is that the coral in the area is in much better shape -- the dayboats out of Cairns are almost not worth it because the spots are so over dived.

You basically have two options to do the Yongala -- a day boat or a live aboard. There are a few dayboat operators that run out of Townsville, Magnetic Island, and Alva Beach (all near Townsville). ProDive Townsville runs a short liveaboard (3 days/nights I think).

I did the ProDive liveaboard -- Except for the fact that the boat was total crap, it was a great trip. You visit a couple of reef spots before going over to the Yongala -- nice combination.

I hear that ProDive is getting a new boat for the liveaboard trip. When they do, I think it will be a fantastic little trip. If you just want to do Yongala on a day boat, I might recommend going out of Alva Beach.

Best,
SouthernSeas
SouthernSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Rascal1933
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Hello SouthernSeas,

Great information on the dive operators/liveaboards.
Thank You for the heads-up on going out of Townsville and Alva Beach!

Cheers,
Rascal

Florida Reef Rescue:

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > Australia & New Zealand