ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Mask / Snorkels / Fins
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mask / Snorkels / Fins Personal Gear questions and opinions.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Darmok
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Black vs Clear mask skirt

Hi!

I'm very very new to scuba diving (I'm going to do my OW in 2 weeks). I'm shopping for the basic gear and reading opinions... I have a question regarding clear skirts vs black skirts, what's better for a beginner? I would like to get into taking pictures later on and I've heard that the black skirt is better for that, but I dont really understand why the light coming in the mask would affect so much... any suggestions?
Darmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
mwhities
Founding Member
ST-Forum Mod

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 8
Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Just go black.

Michael
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
TAH 73
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
A clear mask can be a little "brighter" underwater and can be a little better for people predisposed to claustrophobia, whereas a black skirt doesn't turn yellow over time.
TAH 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Zenagirl
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Try both, see which one you like. If you're buying a mask from an LDS they should let you try them in the pool so you can see if you have a preference. I have one of each and don't feel there's much of a difference, so just pick whichever one I feel like wearing at the moment.

My husband is an underwater photographer and he wears a mask with a clear skirt, but prefers a single lens mask instead of the double ones.
Zenagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
I have used both. I like the clear skirts. But there really isn't much of a difference. I know the "ALL BLACK" crowd don't like the clear with color, but to each his own.

You don't know Desdemona? "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown." - Jimmy Buffett
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Darmok
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenagirl View Post
Try both, see which one you like. If you're buying a mask from an LDS they should let you try them in the pool so you can see if you have a preference. I have one of each and don't feel there's much of a difference, so just pick whichever one I feel like wearing at the moment.

My husband is an underwater photographer and he wears a mask with a clear skirt, but prefers a single lens mask instead of the double ones.
My LDS said I can't try things in their pool because everything is new (not sure what that means), I'm leaning towards the Mares X-Vision without liquid skin after everything I've read, and after trying it in a LDS. It seems to fit well. I guess I won't know until I get in the water. I did a Discover Scuba class in Cancun about 3 weeks ago and I had no problem with the cheap mask that they gave me (all of us got the same mask basically), I'm not sure what it was...

Last edited by Darmok : 08-27-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Darmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Subaqua
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Maybe if you just try it in the shop (not in the pool) you can see what you like the most. I used to have a clear mask and I just tried a black one last week. I don't think there so much difference. Maybe you can feel the difference in clear water though as I was in very poor visibility. One negative thing about the transparent skirt is that it will turn yellow.
Subaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
tnfireman
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
Send a message via Yahoo to tnfireman
I have both, I only use the clear skirted mask for a backup. The black mask is more comfortable (fits better).
tnfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
DivingsInMyBlood
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

go black if you want some cool points (look like a sea ninja kitted all out in black) or go clear if you want to let that little tiny bit more of light in.
DivingsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
scubasavvy
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 3
Their Posts: 2
Clear skirts tend to get spotty and later on they get yellow. Go with the black, you'll look cool and it won't turn nasty colors...
scubasavvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Mask / Snorkels / Fins