ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets Call them what you will... the floatie things we wear.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Fish Killer
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
OxyCheq or Transplate

I am planning on upgrading and streamlining scuba set up.
I'm considering the OxyCheq and Transplate systems.
Can you tell me if there are any differences in these two?
A friend & dive buddy (No Misses) has a Transplate and it seems very well made but he suggested I check out ScubaToys & the OxyCheq set up.
I ordered a pony tank and quickdraw bracket from you and love them.
Thanks for the info.
Fish Killer
Fish Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
NitroWill
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
My Photos: 17 Images
Referal Stats
Referals: 7
Their Posts: 25
Well,
We're going to need a little bit more information to help you out.
Oxycheq is a manufacturer that has many setups. Transplate is a specific setup from DiveRite. What oxycheq setup did you plan on? SS BP & Hog? Adjustable Harness? What kind of diving do you do? Any shore dives?
NitroWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
No Misses
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 2
Their Posts: 16
You might want to do a quick search of other threads on this subject.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthrea...ght=back+plate

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
cummings66
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
I don't even need to know specifics, Oxycheq for sure. A true BP/W is better IMO. The other is fine, but I think Oxycheq would be better.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
CompuDude
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
I don't even need to know specifics, Oxycheq for sure. A true BP/W is better IMO. The other is fine, but I think Oxycheq would be better.
Huh? The OP said TransPLATE, not TransPAC. The TransPlate IS a true bp/w. It just has a more complex harness than a hog harness.

NitroWill's question is a good one... OxyCheq has several systems to choose from, which did you want to compare to the TransPlate?

Closest comparable OxyCheq system to the DiveRite TransPlate would probably be the Oxy Plate plus their Adjustable Harness System. Both setups are pretty similar... the Oxy harness looks little more form-fitted, but frankly I prefer a simple hog harness to either.

Either is a solid choice.

A bigger and more important question is, which wing? And that depends on how much gear you're carrying, etc. The Oxy Mach V 30# wing is probably the best singles wing made today. It can be connected to either rig.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
Fish Killer
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Clarification

Sorry for the hiatus, I had to ake a trip to Provo in the TCI since Spirit had an $8 fare. the diving was great & the storm was too far awy to bother us. Nothing like a coral wall for 60 - 700+ ft to clear your head.

OK I'll try and be more specific this time around.
For a BP/W configuration I assume I would need 3 things:
plate, harness and wing to have a functional BCD.

The Transplate SS plate & harness are ~ $335.00
To that I would need to add a wing.
a DR wing (or some wing)
I can't seemt o find the Dive Rite wing on the website
Are there different sizes/kinds/lifts like with the OxyCheq?

Also I assume I would need weight pockets, crotch strap & cam straps/buckles etc?

If I wantd to go with the higly recommended new Mach V bladder it sems teh price is ~ $385 just for the wing. Am I reading that right?

FYI: I normally dive in warm water (Keys or Carribean) but often wear a wetsuit when spearfishig & use an Aluminum 80 so I don't need lots of lift.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
cummings66
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuDude View Post
Closest comparable OxyCheq system to the DiveRite TransPlate would probably be the Oxy Plate plus their Adjustable Harness System. Both setups are pretty similar... the Oxy harness looks little more form-fitted, but frankly I prefer a simple hog harness to either.

Either is a solid choice.
I misread as you thought, but like you I prefer the simpler HOG harness over any other style. They're adjustable and cheap, nothing to go wrong with it.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
CompuDude
Barracuda
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Killer View Post
Sorry for the hiatus, I had to ake a trip to Provo in the TCI since Spirit had an $8 fare. the diving was great & the storm was too far awy to bother us. Nothing like a coral wall for 60 - 700+ ft to clear your head.

OK I'll try and be more specific this time around.
For a BP/W configuration I assume I would need 3 things:
plate, harness and wing to have a functional BCD.

The Transplate SS plate & harness are ~ $335.00
To that I would need to add a wing.
a DR wing (or some wing)
I can't seemt o find the Dive Rite wing on the website
Are there different sizes/kinds/lifts like with the OxyCheq?

Also I assume I would need weight pockets, crotch strap & cam straps/buckles etc?

If I wantd to go with the higly recommended new Mach V bladder it sems teh price is ~ $385 just for the wing. Am I reading that right?

FYI: I normally dive in warm water (Keys or Carribean) but often wear a wetsuit when spearfishig & use an Aluminum 80 so I don't need lots of lift.
The Mach V is only $285 here at ScubaToys, less your 10% discount.

You are correct that you need a harness, a plate and a wing.

Why do you need weight pockets? You may find you don't need them... many don't like them, in fact. *IF* you need any extra weight, a few pounds on a weight belt is really no big deal compared to a LOT of weight on a belt. Remember that you're adding a 6 lb plate, so there's 6 lbs off the lead you carry immediately.

Harness comes down to personal preference... any of the ones that have been discussed in this thread would work fine for you. The basic harness is a LOT less expensive than the Transplate, however.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
Fish Killer
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

OK I can see that I likely don't need waight pockets.
Likely a basic Hog harness would be the way to go. My goal is to reducve drag to help me keep up with my dive buddy & fish to be killed.
I guess I just need to get a simple list of partrts & prices & go from there.
It seems like it would be easy but I can't seemt o find all teh things on theToys website to be able to make an apples to apples comparision.
IT seems like either rig would be just as good so likely price will be the main determining factor.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Killer View Post
OK I can see that I likely don't need waight pockets.
Likely a basic Hog harness would be the way to go. My goal is to reducve drag to help me keep up with my dive buddy & fish to be killed.
I guess I just need to get a simple list of partrts & prices & go from there.
It seems like it would be easy but I can't seemt o find all teh things on theToys website to be able to make an apples to apples comparision.
IT seems like either rig would be just as good so likely price will be the main determining factor.
My vote is for the Oxycheq rig. I'm sure that ST can put together complete rigs in either setups you are looking at. I agree that the Mach 5 is probably the best or at least equal to the best single wing out there. However, there is not a problem with mixing & matching parts on a BP/W. If you wanted the transplate with the Mach 5 wing, that would work just fine.

As far as weights, I use weight pockets when I use my drysuit. Otherwise, with a steel tank, I don't need any additional weight. even with a full wetsuit (in fresh water). I have a buddy who uses the xs-scuba weight pockets on his tank bands. But that is just for a few pounds per pocket.

You don't know Desdemona? "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown." - Jimmy Buffett
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > BC's - Buoyancy Compensators - Stab Jackets