ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > Australia & New Zealand
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Australia & New Zealand Down under diving.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
chinacat46
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 290
Marlborough Sound - NZ

I'm gonna be on the South Island visiting some friends in Nelson for a few weeks in November and was thinking of doing some diving out of Picton in the Marlborough Sound. Has anybody dived there? If so what would you recommend. What are the water temps at that time of year?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
picxie
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
I dived there about 7 years ago. One was a wreck dive and one was a cray dive. I don't remember much about the cray dive but the wreck (Mikhail Lermontov) is a must do if you are in the area.

I was going to do a trip back down there earlier this year but it got cancelled due to lack of interest We were going to do a few on the Lermontov and then there are supposed to be a couple more old wrecks in the area which hopefully we were going to make it to.

Vis on the Lermontov isn't the best, but winter (now) is the best time of year so you're in luck! Oh wait, you're coming in November. I think 3-4m vis is about normal. But it's supposed to be a bit better elsewhere (ie, not the Lermontov).

If you were here now, it would be ... 10-12C roughly. At a guess, November you'd be looking at 16-18C roughly. Our hottest summer month is February-ish so that's when it would be warmest.

Check out http://www.godive.co.nz/

I've not dived with them, but if I was to go down there again (on my own rather than an organised trip) I'd be going through them. There are probably other diveshops and I can have a quick look through the local dive mag if you want??

If you are coming all the way over here, another option (as well as the Lermontov - you have to do that!!) for you might to be to catch the ferry from Picton one day and come over to Wellington, spend a few days there. More shopping than Nelson but there is also another wreck off Wellington - she has only been a few years I think, and not long after being sunk there was some bad weather and she broke up into 3 pieces. I have not yet dived on her, but it was something I was hoping to do when we did the Lermontov trip (we would have been driving down and going through Wellington anyway). I can have a look later on for some links if you want - but google HMNZS Wellington and you might be able to find something.

Where are you flying into? If you are flying into Auckland (which is normal for international flights) then I would highly recommend staying a few days and going further up north to the Poor Knights and Bay of Islands area. The diving up there is fantastic.

Hope this helps
picxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
chinacat46
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 290
Good on ya. Thank you for the info. This will be my 4th trip to NZ and of all the countries I've ever visited NZ is my fav. I learned to dive in the Bay of Islands at Paihia Dive. Got my OW and AOW there. I've dived the Rainbow Warrior twice. Also have done the Poor Knights with Tutukaka Dive. Thats about the extent of my NZ diving. But I've done a 3 day kayak trip in Doubtful Sound. I've been up and down the North and South Island as well as Stewart Island and Great Barrier Island. I've done all of the great walks as well as a few other tramps. I've spent nearly 35 weeks traveling around NZ over my last 3 visits. I've drank many Kilkenny in Wellington bars till very early in the morning. I've probably even been to your home town. I've hiked on White Island and hope to dive there some day as well. I like Whakatane but then again I've liked just about everywhere I've been in NZ. Kiwis are the friendliest folks I've met the Ozzies aren't bad but the Kiwis are the best.GO All Blacks!! But this time it's mostly to visit my friends. I'm diving in Oz and PNG on this trip and then flying into Christchurch on my way home to visit my friends in Nelson. I'll pass thru the Auckland airport but just in transient. I'll be back to NZ though you can't keep me away from such an awesome place. Maybe I'll dive Napier next trip. I've been there twice but that was before I dove.

Last edited by chinacat46 : 08-07-2007 at 09:04 PM.
chinacat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
picxie
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
Good on ya. Thank you for the info. This will be my 4th trip to NZ and of all the countries I've ever visited NZ is my fav. I learned to dive in the Bay of Islands at Paihia Dive. Got my OW and AOW there. I've dived the Rainbow Warrior twice. Also have done the Poor Knights with Tutukaka Dive. Thats about the extent of my NZ diving.
Very cool! My last dives were up with Paihia Dive on the Rainbow Warrior. She's a beautiful wreck, isn't she? I've done Poor Knights with Tutukaka Dive and they were a very professional outfit. However I then went on to do the Poor Knights with a private charter and they took us to some of the more out of the way spots which were even better.

Quote:
But I've done a 3 day kayak trip in Doubtful Sound. I've been up and down the North and South Island as well as Stewart Island and Great Barrier Island. I've done all of the great walks as well as a few other tramps. I've spent nearly 35 weeks traveling around NZ over my last 3 visits. I've drank many Kilkenny in Wellington bars till very early in the morning. I've probably even been to your home town. I've hiked on White Island and hope to dive there some day as well. I like Whakatane but then again I've liked just about everywhere I've been in NZ.
Wow! You've done more than me!! I have been to Doubtful Sounds & Stewart Island, many many years ago, but not yet to Great Barrier. It is on my list of places to go this summer as it's somewhere I have not yet dived. There are supposed to be a few dive spots up in that area so I was going to make a long weekend of it.

White Island is great!! You should definately do it if you get the chance. It is my favourite spot.

Quote:
Kiwis are the friendliest folks I've met the Ozzies aren't bad but the Kiwis are the best.
Too right we are!! And I'm glad you know the difference between NZ and Australia!! Go Kiwi's!!

Quote:
Maybe I'll dive Napier next trip. I've been there twice but that was before I dove.
Hmmm ... was that just a passing comment or did you somehow know that I am from Napier?? Local diving isn't my favourite but it is do-able. I wouldn't make a special trip though - if you are going to go somewhere specifically, definately make it White Island!!

I hope you enjoy your trip!!
picxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Cojrock
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 51-100
If your going past it Kaikoura is nice for a dive or two that time of year. Lots of crays/lobster (if you know where to look) and there are many dive sites around seal colonies. If you have never dived with seals i really recommend it, they are very funny underwater and at my favorite site there are normally 4-10 following you around as you dive.

If im in NZ i would be free to buddy up if ya want to be shown a few sites around there.

Last edited by Cojrock : 08-09-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Cojrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
kiwi
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: No Info Given
There are plenty of scallops in the sounds too which are fantastic eating. Dont make for a very exciting dive though as they live on the sand. There are some great cray dives in the sounds but are often at the heads which requires a bit of a mission. Be careful as the area is very tidal in these areas. - the whole tasman/pacific thing. Stewart Island is also good.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > Australia & New Zealand