ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Comments or Questions that don't fit above!
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Comments or Questions that don't fit above!
Do you have a round peg question about gear that doesn't fit in our square hole categories?
Try posting here.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 07-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Warren
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 0-24
Okay, let me have it, let's hear your opinions to help me finalize my gear purchase.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FYI: I'm a cold water diver, 240 pounder that needs 30-35 pounds of weight with a full 7mm suit and an aluminum 80.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So what are the pros/cons of integrated vs. a belt?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks!</DIV>
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
WaterRat
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

If it were me I would go with a Stainless BP with a heavy Single Tank Adapter. That would easily be 12#'s. You may even look into the DSS plate as they offer some add on weight plates. If you can get about 20#'s in the plate then you could wear the rest on a weight belt. Adding 30 to 35 pounds on your hips or close tot he waist line in a BC is going to make it hard to get trimmed out properly. I think you will be happier if you could wear a lot of the weight over your lungs.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
jacewindu
Guppy
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 10
i think that's right. i have integrated, but only need to wear about 10 lbs, so usually i'll go 3 in each dump-able pocket and 2 in each trim pocket near the air bladder, but for 30 pounds, i don't think i could do that without a weight belt.
jacewindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
JahJahwarrior
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
Belt is cheaper. Biggest thing for me came on a dive trip with a friend. We did some dives off of a small boat of mine, and I'd take off belt, toss into boat. Take off bc, climb in and lift it in. Then my buddy took off his WI bc and I had to pull it up. With weights in and with tanks an dall, it was 60+ pounds!!! I really wish he dove with a belt. My back says the same.
JahJahwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Warren
TadPole
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahJahwarrior
Belt is cheaper. Biggest thing for me came on a dive trip with a friend. We did some dives off of a small boat of mine, and I'd take off belt, toss into boat. Take off bc, climb in and lift it in. Then my buddy took off his WI bc and I had to pull it up. With weights in and with tanks an dall, it was 60+ pounds!!! I really wish he dove with a belt. My back says the same.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I guess it depends on the BC. The WI one's I dove still held the weights in pockets so you could pull the whole setout and hand them up.</DIV>
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
ntburchf
Guppy
Founding Member
"Forum Admin"

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 25 Images
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to ntburchf

Yep,
Pull the weights out all at once in a nice little yellow holder

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...=ZeagleBrigade
Weight removal Movie

Put the soft weights in this

Zeagle Weight Pouches - 18 lb. Capacity - Weight Thingies
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.as...weightpocket18
or 12lb
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...eweightpouches

Old 07-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
3rdEye
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Okay, let me have it, let's hear your opinions to help me finalize my gear purchase.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FYI: I'm a cold water diver, 240 pounder that needs 30-35 pounds of weight with a full 7mm suit and an aluminum 80.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So what are the pros/cons of integrated vs. a belt?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>i'm the same size guy, and dive cold water with a 7mm suit, and also new to diving.....I bought an integrated BC, with enough soft weights (Zeagle ranger, with the yellow weight pouch thingies), but also a belt in case I feel that I can't put it all in the BC, so I was curious about this as well....does anyone do both?</DIV>
3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
ntburchf
Guppy
Founding Member
"Forum Admin"

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 25 Images
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to ntburchf
Each pouch can hold 18 lbs -- 36 pounds
+ the trim pouch holds x pounds...
What's that approx 40lbs.. How much weight ya need

Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
thesmoothdome
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
The biggest pro: No belt! I've seen many stout folks have trouble keeping weight belts on their hips. On the flip side, I'vehad bruises onmy hips fromhard weights because I was so thin. Well, when I was thin that is.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The biggest drawback: You don't have as many options in terms of weight placement. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
thesmoothdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
picxie
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

I use both integrated and a weightbelt.

With an aluminium tank &amp; 7mm wetsuit I need about 24 pounds. I put about 13 in the BCD and the rest on a belt. I'd love to be able to use less weight but even if I did, I would still use both. Easier to manage (for me). Definately wouldn't (and probably couldn't) put that much on a belt.
picxie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Comments or Questions that don't fit above!