ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > South Pacific
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

South Pacific Palau, Saipan, Yap, etc

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
thesmoothdome
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 500-1000
Fiji

Chatted with my travel agent today. She told me that it's $1100.00 per ticket cheaper to fly to PNG through Fiji. It almost sounds like I need to spend a week lounging about Fiji and doing a bit of diving. I haven't done any research on this yet, so I'm looking for suggestions.

It's looking like that we'll fly directly through Nadi to Port Moresby, PNG. Kick around Port Moresby for a few days, jet over to Rabaul, spend 9 days on the Star Dancer, kick around Rabaul for 2 days, then head back for Fiji. My wife's a trooper and she's willing to dive a ton, but it's me who's hard core, so I'd like to do maybe 5 days or so at a land based resort and grab another 10-12 dives in Fiji without breaking the bank. This trip is already gonna put a huge crimp in the savings, but isn't that what savings are for? Suggestions?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
coralcrazed
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 25-50
there's a no brainer... do some diving and its cheaper. I say go for it and have a great time. be sure to take lots of pictures and post them here for all of us to see.

to answer your question more directly... yes that is what savings are for. you only live once. I say do it.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
chinacat46
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 290
From what I've heard a couple of hours in Port Moresby is more time then you want to spend there. I'll know for sure around the middle of October.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 AM   #4
Travelnsj
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Referal Stats
Their Posts: 0
Send a message via AIM to Travelnsj
I do not know how far Beqa or Raki Raki are from Nadi....but I hear it is the best diving in Fiji....I've started a thread asking for more info about those areas.
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=3191
I Endeavor to Pursue....Sept/Oct- Bali/Wakatobi....December/January- Raja Ampat-Lembeh Straits....2008...April-Layang Layang....July Bonaire....then maybe....Philippines...Australia...Tawali or Palau....Decisions...Decisions
Travelnsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
thesmoothdome
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
From what I've heard a couple of hours in Port Moresby is more time then you want to spend there. I'll know for sure around the middle of October.

Thanks for the heads up Chinacat. Definately please let me know. Air Pacific only flies into Port Moresby on Monday and Saturday. I can always head straight to Rabaul, but I know we're going to do a couple of days there after getting off the Star Dancer, so I thought it would be cool to see a different part of PNG. If it's a pit, I'd rather do something else with my time though.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
chinacat46
Grouper

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Referal Stats
Their Posts: 290
I've heard it's more because of the crime. You are a target just walking a half a block. People who have been said you take a taxi everywhere and have them wait for you. If you want to go someplace very close to Port Moresby check out http://www.loloata.com/
Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
boarder06
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
I've heard it's more because of the crime. You are a target just walking a half a block. People who have been said you take a taxi everywhere and have them wait for you. If you want to go someplace very close to Port Moresby check out http://www.loloata.com/
Second all of that. Loloata was fine for a few days (except for the part where we had to strap the DM to a door to get him off the boat, into a van, racing to the decompression chamber...) Botanical garden is worth a visit if you have a few hours to kill. Just the walk from the international to the domestic terminal can be a thrill.
boarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Dive Spots > South Pacific