ScubaToys Diving Forum  

Forum Photo Gallery Get Your Scuba Toys Gear Here Scuba Classes & Diver Training Store Cam
Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Computers and Gauges
Register FAQLive Chat Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computers and Gauges From plain ole' submersible pressure gauges to hoseless computers, your questions and answers are here.

Welcome to the ScubaToys Diving Forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oh Wait!

Did I forget to tell you that as a board member you'll save 10 percent on ScubaToys Purchases... And for simply posting you can earn ScubaToys Gift Certificates!? Learn All About It!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
Advokat
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Newcastle,Australia or Novorossyisk,Russia
Dives Logged: 51-100
Referal Stats
Referals: 1
Their Posts: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Advokat
How conservative are computers?

Hey guys which computers tend to be more conservative than others?Do they all use different algorithms? I currently dive with Tusa and Mares computers and they seem to be very similar?How conservative are Uwatec and Suunto?
Advokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
ScubaToys Larry
Grand Poobah
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Referal Stats
Welcome to the forum! Great questions for a first post! You will find all the names you tossed out are pretty close to each other, and are on the conservative side. Most those are using a modified RGBM type algorithm.

If you want something that will allow more bottom time, then look at the Oceanic / Aeris line of computers which are based on modified Padi Tables.

For example, you will probably see your computers showing a 60 foot dive plan for about 49 minutes or so, and the oceanic will show 57, Padi shows 55 (but the math for padi says 57, it is rounded for pretty numbers) and the us navy shows 60.

I prefer having a more liberal computer, and if I want to be more conservative, I just don't push it to the limit, and some of the new oceanic / aeris, you can set a conservatism factor and they will back off your times then.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Advokat
TadPole

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Newcastle,Australia or Novorossyisk,Russia
Dives Logged: 51-100
Referal Stats
Send a message via ICQ to Advokat
Great Answer!Thanks!
Advokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
ScubaToys Larry
Grand Poobah
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 1000 +
Referal Stats
Hey Advokat... Just noticed you're from Australia... so kick that 60 foot to about 20 meters! But you get the idea.

Welcome to "up over"!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
BSea
Grouper
Founding Member

Forum Stats

Profile Info

My Photos: 1 Images
I used to have an oceanic, and now I have a suunto. The suunto is more conservative, even when I tweak it to be more liberal. But most of the people I dive with have suunto, so it really doesn't hurt my bottom time. I tend to be a little conservative anyway since I'm 51.

You don't know Desdemona? "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown." - Jimmy Buffett
BSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
ScaredSilly
Guppy

Forum Stats

Profile Info

Dives Logged: 101-500
It is also not just the algorithm that can make a computer conservative it is also the initial conditions. For instance, I think Sunnto uses 32 ft == 1 ATM for figuring the MODs when using Nitrox. So this effectively reduces the MOD ceiling.
ScaredSilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   ScubaToys Diving Forum > Scuba Gear > Computers and Gauges